Thursday, March 06, 2008

La Belle Dame Sans Merci




The merciless Belle is done! I have been knitting along, but haven't posted until now. Here are the details: The yarn is Luxor by Lana Grossa, purchased at LaLaine in Berlin last summer. It took 11 1/2 skeins on #6 needles. I went by the medium pattern but lengthened the skirt, sleeves, and bodice. I also did an additional stitch decrease on the skirt.

The inspiration for this project came from a visit to the Rust Kammer (Armor Museum) in Dresden, Germany, where it occurred to me that I wanted to knit some armor! The yarn looked appropriately metallic, and the pattern in the Vogue Silver Anniversary issue seemed appropriately armorial.

I loved this project. I started just after Christmas and completed it March 3. It was never boring, and I learned a lot about fixing mistakes without ripping back.

Thanks to everyone who posted comments and advice as they were knitting the Belle, and good luck to those who are still working on it.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

It looks beautiful! Maybe too pretty to be armor, though. :-)

Virtuous said...

You did a wonderful job and we really appreciate you posting your beautiful Belle!!

Thank you so much for the encouragement!

ShinyNewThing said...

It looks great. It gives me hope that one day I may actually finish mine.

Sheila said...

SB looks great!!

Liz said...

It looks great on you! Well done, you did it in quick time too-wish I could say the same!

KimT said...

wonderful!

Jackie said...

It looks beautiful ! Nice job.