Monday, February 25, 2008

False start, but have gotten going now

Thanks for inviting me to join the KAL - I need all the help I can get! I saw this pattern first as the Romy Cabled Cardigan in Knitting magazine here in the UK, which doesn't have charts, so I was relieved to discover that it was also the Silver Belle and that Vogue had published charts. I am knitting it in Almerino Aran, in colour Brighton Rock 307, which is 50% Baby Alpaca and 50% Merino, but I had to drop down to a 3.25mm needle to get the stitch gauge.
I started with the sleeve and if you are wondering what the mess is at the beginning, that is my false start as I just did not twig that because it was a WS row 1, I had to read the chart left to right! I am so used to going right to left that I couldn't figure out why it was going wrong. So after 6 rows, I knit a row of waste yarn and started again. I want the live stitches as I will be adding the cable trim on the cuff. I was also a bit thrown by the symbol on Chart F for K3 tog, when really it should be P3tog, but I figured that out after comparing the written out Romy instructions. I loved the tip about colouring in the chart so I've done that and also I have highlighted all the even rows so I can pick out the different rows more easily. As suggested by others, I am starting with a small size sleeve and will increase to a medium yoke.


I only learned to knit properly a year ago, and have knit several socks, some gloves and a pair of fair isle mittens, so this will be a big challenge for me. One problem I am having is a loose stitch after I have cabled, I think it is the pull of the crossed over stitches pulling that stitch bigger than it should be. Any tips on that?


Best wishes, Wannaknit (Sharon)

1 comment:

Virtuous said...

"One problem I am having is a loose stitch after I have cabled"

Yes, when you knit the last cabeled stitch knit in the BACK of it, and then again when come around on your NEXT row for that stitch knit in the BACK of it! That should close it up a bit!

Hope that helps!