Friday, February 29, 2008

Ready to Start My Green Belle



I've finally found some wool in the colour I had in my head, and am ready to start. Just in time for... umm... spring, but that's ok as this bulky cardigan won't fit under my winter jackets anyway!

I'm using a combination of Rowan 4 ply Scottish tweed and a plain dk alpaca, knit together to hopefully give an aran weight. My gauge is still a little loose, even with 4 mm needles, so I'm going to start on a sleeve and see how it looks after a few pattern repeats.

In terms of sizing, I will try making the smallest size (32 inch bust). I have an 86 cm (about 34 inches) bust and narrow shoulders, and from reading the other blog posts it sounds like this should be ok with some negative ease. I am also short (156 cm) so I think the length of the body and sleeves (which are short on the model) should be ok for me.

My intended modifications: I will use 3 buttons as it looks much better. I think I will make tighter cuffs, but will do this at the end so will use a provisional cast on for the sleeves. I'm not sure about the collar yet - it will probably get changed too! I am a bit scared of all that seaming so will attempt to eliminate a few - to start with I will knit the sleeves in the round.

By the way, can anybody tell me the yardage they actually used for the small size? My LYSO thought the 700g = 1260 metres as given in the pattern sounded like way too much, and convinced me to buy less (1000 metres). Now I am worried I don't have enough!

No comments: